From: sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 10:49 am
Subject: Re: IML: Old Cars, Old Clubs, Old Parts, Old Time

Sometimes the "hunt" is more fun, than the finding. We still make the trip to out of the way junk yards, now called auto recyclers. It's always fun to open that rusty hood and see what usable treasures still remain, or that mill-dewed interior. To wonder who, what, and why some of those wonderful old cars ended there seemingly useful life there. The Chryslers are always first, with a side trip to the Studebakers, Hudsons, etc. With the advent of the internet, these true joys are missed, and I use it as well, but somehow I'm still a junk yard romantic. Happy mouse clicks, Dave.

From: PAUL WENTINK <randalpark@xxxxxxx>

The first car that I actually bought and owned was my '56 back in
1971.
I spent every Saturday morning scouring the many salvage yards
collecting parts. I managed to find most of what I needed to get
things
done and keep the car on the road for many years. Later, I became
more
sophisticated and began to attend swap meets. I made friends in car
clubs that had access to parts inventories. Then I got busy with my
life and the cars sat in the garage for nearly 20 years.

In 2003, the decision to get them back on the road brought me to the
IML and the Internet. What used to take years of looking for parts
only
took months on the web. Here in Washington, swap meets often happen
in
the rain. Sloggi ng around in mud with an umbrella looking through
tables of dirty old parts no longer is appealing to me.

I think the hobby has come a long way. I hope that younger folks can
keep it going after I have moved on. When that time comes for me,
there
are 8 good original running Imperials ranging from 1955 through 1968
in
my garage waiting for their next care taker.

Paul W.