Propeller design in rear bumper

Does anyone have an explanation or historical account of how the rear bumpers of the '64 thru '66 models came to be designed.  As my '65 Crown convertible goes back together, I have noticed (more so now than before) how much the center part of the rear bumper resembles an airplane propeller!  From the center where the fuel filler door is located, to the tips of the taillight lenses, this entire section reminds me of a prop. on a plane.  Was this by accident or is there someone on the List who can share 'the rest of the story'?

Thanks!

Greg McDonnell
'Inquiring minds want to know'!