fuel mileage

Quoting W Bell <cbody67tx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I read in a '75 Chevrolet owner's manual that it was sometimes better to
> accelerate moderately instead of slowly from a stop.  This way, you got to
> the more efficient fuel use range quicker for better overall economy, even if
> it took a smidge extra to do it faster.  After watching the fuel economy
> readouts, it makes sense, just as long as you stay out of the power mixture
> in the carb or fuel injection.

That may be due to the torque converter.  If you push it a bit more, you may get
some torque multiplication, so the efficiency during most of the off-line
acceleration is not too bad.  If you go off real slow, the converter still
slips and waists energy because the rpm is low, but you may get less torque
multiplication and therefore momentarily more inefficient.

D^2