Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 8:17 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Best method for starting a long disused motor

Hugh:

Thanks for your note about starting the "dead" engine.  I'm psyched to put
some marvel into the cylinders, and plan to get that done before the weekend
is
out.  I agree with your advice about letting sleeping crud lie.

I took half a day today and washed that car for all I was worth, and it's
still dirty.  Wow.  27 years of dirt takes more than an afternoon.  I
conquered
the engine compartment, however, and got most of the glass clean. I used a
pressure washer and cleaned out the trunk, which had been a squirrel's next.
Totally nasty, and no drain holes in the trunk floor!  I couldn't believe
that.
The car is outside tonight (safely stowed behind a fence) trunk gaping, so
all
of the water that I couldn't mop out can dry.  I got all of the body panels
with the pressure washer and one good pass with a hand wash, but it needs
more.
I didn't even look at the interior.

And I'm still having fun.  This is a small town and I've been yapping about
this car for weeks.  A bunch of people stopped by when they saw me working
on
it.  Funny thing, not one of them offered to help!  I'll be getting used to
that, I can tell.

I pulled the spare.  I think it's from the original showroom set, given the
very low miles (45,000), but it's horribly worn. I was bummed to see that,
it
indicating to me that the previous owners deferred maintenance.  I've heard
that they were like that.

I'll press on, and keep you posted.  And no, I haven't tried to drain the
oil
yet.  At least I'll finally have a reason to like my skinny forearms.

Patrick, '58 4 dr Southampton,
Southeast Louisiana.