Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 10:56 PM
Subject: Re: IML: this is a gamble and some rather poor practices

The strangest answer that I have heard on this today didn't come from the IML, but a friend of mine who used to drive a bus. I had told him about some of the posts here today during lunch. He said that one of his buddies says that "the only way to free a stuck engine is to pour Coca Cola down the spark plug holes and wait a couple days".

By now you are all pretty use to the kind of advice that I usually dish out, so tonight I decided that I would try something a little different.

I guess he has a friend that did this, and the guy swears by it. He also puts a quart or two of oil in the crank case each day before he drives his 25 mile round trip to work. He has three old cars that he bought new (no Imperials, although one is an old Chrysler with a 383), never changes the oil, and somehow he keeps them all running, but they all put out clouds of smoke where ever he goes. One of them sits for three or four months during the summer (I think it is a '67 Galaxie with a 390), since the windows won't go down, so he can't drive it when it is hot outside. That is when it seizes up. Due to a blown head gasket it runs on about six out of eight, and allows water to seep into the cylinders.

His cars may all run, or at least can be made to run, but I doubt that I would ever consider ever buying one of them to fix up or to use. I guess people can come up with all sorts of things to make something run if they don't much care how it runs.

Paul