66 LeBaron READING light-was(question for the club)

66 LeBaron READING light-was(question for the club)

to Tim Dale,

I have a 1966 LeBaron also.  The problem you describe has occured with my
car also.  Good news; it can be repaired.  The satin chrome cover with the
magnifying lens in it for reading( these are reading lights only for rear
seat passengers and DO NOT come on when any doors are opened, also ONLY
offered in LeBaron models ) is just pushed on and held in by friction, no
screws. Just pop the light cover off, pull OUT and straight hard, and then
you can unscrew the light assembly from the 'C' pillar and unplug the whole
thing at the pigtail.  The switch can be serviced with good electric cleaner
like CRC and some dielectric grease like the kind used on distributors.
These switches get corroded from lack of use and get stuck when turned on
once every few years.  Just be careful when removing the bulb if the light
is on, it gets REAL hot and can burn you, ask me how I know.

Dave Brown
64 crown coupe
66 lebaron