Fuel mileage

I have a question about fuel mileage.  Will running with the RPM on the
lower side of the torque curve (about 1800 rpm) when pulling heavy (as
in towing) be worse on mileage than shifting down so the RPM is up in
the fatter part of the torque curve (about 2500).  At lower RPM the
motor seems to be lugging when towing while at the higher RPM the motor
seems more responsive and it SEEMS like my foot is not as close to the
floor.

If I put a vacuum guage on the car will that show me the best operating
conditions for max mileage?  Does higher vacuum = higher mileage?  This
is one case where one of those instantaneous mileage computers would be
handy....

Kerry
begin:vcard
fn:Kerry Pinkerton
n:;Kerry Pinkerton
email;internet:http://Dte.net/57imperial     50 Crown, 57, 61(s), 68 convert
other lesser makes
tel;work:Manufacture of high quality Wheeling Machines
tel;home:http://wheelingmachines.com
version:2.1
end:vcard