some more '82 questions.

I am now pretty certain that my starter is messed up.  Won't be able to mess
with it too much over the next week or so. I tried the fuel down the wing
nut trick, once it seemed to work and once it didn't.  Is there any reason I
shouldn't use starter fluid? I really don't want to carry gas around.

The car has a moderate shudder at highway speeds. Particularly on coasting.
Is this likely the lock up converter? I'm wondering if that may be related
to the starter problem, since it occaisionally sounds like the teeth are
off.

The dash also acts strangely. The speedo has almost all the bars lit all the
time. The ones for the speed you are actually going are a little brighter.
The km/h lights up and flashes in time with the low fuel light.  The dash
goes on when you pull on the door handle.  I don't think it's supposed to do
that.  Any possible common cause for any/all of these problems. I'm hoping
there is a ground problem causing some of it.  Also, the idiot lights for
volts and seat belt come on when you turn the key to start. The light for
temp only comes on when the car is cranking. Which is normal?

Thanks for all the help so far.  In a month or two I may be able to
concentrate on the dents.