some more '82 questions.

Thanks Dave,

The starter acts strange and it does sometimes stop turning while the key is
in "start" position.  I'll run through the tests within the next couple of
weeks. Sooner if it ever won't start. Thanks for the detailed how-to. That's
exactly the kind of explanation I need.  I'll try to pick up a mini-starter
somewhere, maybe Carlisle.

As for the shudder, it's very mild.  The car seems to have some minor
exhaust leak and when you lay off the gas it makes the kind of noise I
wouldn't expect from such a mild 318.  It may just be the exhaust noise. The
front end will need to be gone through so that may be it. It has some really
dead wallowy steering feel.  Even for a luxo-barge.

The dash is definitely screwy, I just don't know how screwy. The idiot light
thing bothers me because the other oil and volt lights up when you start,
but the coolant light only flashes.  I guess it's because before the car
starts the oil pressure and voltage are low, but the coolant isn't hot.

It's just strange, because I have an '83, but the cars are so different.

Thanks a ton.  I'm sure everybody will get to see it have trouble starting
at Carlisle.
Rob