From: "A. Foster" <monkeypuzzle1@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 8:45 PM
Subject: IML: Mid Seventies Chrysler Products

> Hello All;
>   I have been offered a 1975 Chrysler Newport for a reasonable price and
> though it isn't an Imperial, or N.Y.B, I believe that it shares a number
of
> things in common. It is with those things that these cars have in common
> that I would like to ask a few questions.

The body and chassis are identical to the Imperial.  1974 through 1978
Newport, New Yorker, Imperial and Town & Country all shared the same basic
components (except the obvious T&C differences being its a wagon).  The
differences are limited to sound deadener, trinkets, bells and whistles.

>   First the car has a 440 engine, like its Imperial relatives, but has no
> E.G.R system or an air pump. It does have the crankcase vent system, the
> fuel vapour collection system for the gas tank, and a Carter Thermoquad
> carburettor. The odd thing is that the 440s used in 75' Chryslers weren't
> available with dual exhausts but the 400s were.

I'm surprised the car has a 440.  I was told the Newport never had a 440 so
it might be a replacement.  This would be interesting to investigate.

>  According to my Motor Manual the engine has a compression ratio of 8.2:1
> verses 10.1:1 for a 1969 440. How did Chrysler achieve this drop in
> compression; different heads? Thicker gaskets? I do know that the 69'
> pistons had a raised deck height, are the 75's flat topped?

Lower compression was an emissions control ploy.  I understand it is
basically a head design thing.  I've never been told the pistons are
different.  That 440 dynos out at about 210 HP.

>   There is a device under the hood called a speed control servo. It is
> connected to the carburettor via a steel cable and the brake booster via a
> vacumn line. I though that this might have been an updated version of an
> AutoPilot but there is no control dial visable on the dash. Further the
> Motor Manual gives no account of its purpose or how it functions, only how
> to adjust it.

The "Speed Control Servo" is indeed an "Automatic Speed Control" or "Cruise
Control", the modern equivalent to Auto Pilot.  You can find the controls on
the signal lever stalk.  It is not set like an Auto Pilot.  You can't tell
it to hold your speed at 60...you can only tell it to hold your speed right
were it is at the moment.  This probably isn't a very good description but
you'll see when you look into it.

>   On the heater/A.C control on the dash it has a set of push buttons and
the
> script "AutoTemp II". Does this unit use one of those infamous
> disintegrating control servos like the earlier cars? Should I be on the
> lookout for a junk Mercedes now?

No.  The ATC in these cars is far simpler and more reliable than the
previous attempts.  If your ATC doesn't work right when you get the car,
don't fear.  These systems are very easy to diagnose when you understand a
few basic principles of their operation.  I'll be happy to help if you need
some.