From: <RandalPark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 55 ignition problems

> If you are really careful, you can bypass the dash and hot wire the car.
If it runs that way, then you know that there is something wrong in the
ignition switch or in the wiring under the dash.

> I had two '55 Imperials for a while. They both came from the same place.
The one I kept has always been dependable since I was able to get it
running. The other one had something wrong in the ignition switch. It would
only start if it was hot wired, but would stay running without the hot wire
after it started. I was pretty sure that the ignition switch was at fault,
but gave the car away before I got around to fixing it. The guy that I gave
it to tracked down the problem and it was the ignition switch, so they can,
and do give trouble.

Casagrande" <rdc2382@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >My 55 Imperial has lost its "spark". The car has run from November 2003
when I got to about a month ago. I checked the spark by removing the #1 plug
and with the wire attached put the plug base to the intake manifold and had
someone turn over the engine. No spark was seen at the plug. I checked the
coil by putting a plug with a 0.175" gap between the coil output and the
manifold and got a solid blue spark. I changed the points and condenser and
checked that the primary wire was not grounded when both points were open.

> >Another note is that I have the center portion of the dash off to repair
the radio and polish the knobs of the controls. I don't know if something in
the ignition requires all of the dash controls and radio to be connected.