From: <pbrust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 7:44 AM
Subject: IML: Radio conversion 82 Imperial

Chrysler made radios with two wiring configurations in the 80's...
My 82 is wired for two radio plugs: a rectangular six pin and a separate two
pin connector. The car is also equipped with the "Audio Power Amplifer" that
the six pin connector mates with.

The radio I want to put in the Imperial is an electronically tuned premium
radio form an 87 Lebaron. This radio has the more familiar connectors: a
straight six pin and a straight seven pin. Most of the extra wires are
separate grounds for each speaker.

My 86 Service Manual shows a wiring diagram connecting the 6/7 configuration
radio to the old power amp. The only difference is the jumpering of two of
the speaker connections outside the power amp while on the 82 those
connections are shown going inside the power amp.

This question is: Can I wire the 87 radio as shown in the manual mating it
to the old power amp or should I bypass the power amp and run ground wires
to each speaker?

BTW, www.crutchfield.com is a good resource for iPod connection
options...there are written reviews/tests of each option.

Phil Brust
73 & 82 Imperial