Re: IML: 1960 ?Map Light switch ?& Power ?Antenna switch

Re: IML: 1960 ?Map Light switch ?& Power ?Antenna switch

Yes, you could rebuild them. I have successfully taken two of them apart and made them work. My skill level is probably not like yours, and I didn't really have the right tools. The trick is that there are several little pieces (springs, contacts, and a shaft or two) that come loose as soon as the switch is disassembled. The backing is made out of the same material as the early '60s power window switches, only thinner. It seems rather fragile, but could probably be recreated, along with the electrical connection included with it, by a skilled person. The cast bezel can be re-crimped in a different place (although a second or third rebuild would run out of "crimp-able" material) to hold the backing in place and the switch together. Using your ingenuity to come up with a better way of holding it together would be good. The biggest problem with the switch is that it can come apart while it is in the dash, due to the fragile backing and they way it is fastened together. If this happens, the pieces inside the switch can become lost, but again, a skilled person can probably make the little parts that are needed to repair the switch.

Paul