Re: IML: 1962 brakes stick and causes havoc

Re: IML: 1962 brakes stick and causes havoc

It would appear that your left front brake is not "sticking" but is grabbing.  The first thing I would look for is a leaking wheel cylinder.  Brake fluid on a brake shoe commonly causes this problem.  There may be no need to rebuild all the wheel cylinders but I would check all of them out.  Peel back the rubber boot around the cylinder and look for wetness.

If this is the problem, you can't use the fluid-soaked shoes--you'll have to replace them (in axle pairs.)  Front brakes, because of the increased weight nearly always wear more rapidly that rear brakes.

Rebuilding the wheel cylinder might solve the problem.

Bob

canu di bona <ccdibona@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a 1962 Chrysler with drum brakes on 14" rims
and drive it about once every 15 days. My front left
brake grabs and at highway speeds it jerks the car to
the left violently. At slower speeds it is manageable
with anticipated counter steering to the right.
Still, it is a major pain. The problem exists even
after driving a bit. What can I do to correct the
problem?
Thanks
1962 Imperial 4dr
1962 New Yorker
(basically the same cars in almost every way, but with
different skin and dash)