RE: IML: Help: 1968 Coupe Carburetor Installation

RE: IML: Help: 1968 Coupe Carburetor Installation

To add a little to Mike's excellent reply, the two vacuum fittings mentioned
are "ported vacuum" and manifold vacuum.  The proper one for the distributor
vacuum advance is the ported vacuum, the other must be capped if it is not
in use.

Ported vacuum can be identified by the characteristic that there is no
vacuum present at idle, vacuum appears only when the throttle is partly
opened, in other words when you are stepping on the gas a bit.  This is
because the distributor is not designed to provide vacuum operated spark
advance except during acceleration.

Of course if these two ports are exchanged, the initial timing can be
adjusted back to specification at idle, but if this is done, the car's
performance will be quite poor, as advancing the throttle will reduce the
vacuum advance, not increase it.  Off idle performance will be noticeably
reduced.

Dick Benjamin