Re: IML: Front End Suspension 1963 Le Baron

Do you still have the part numbers for the KYB shocks? I also have a 64 Crown Coupe that needs ride heighth adjustment & shocks
----- Original Message ----- From: "dave brown" <imperial1usa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 2:40 PM
Subject: RE: IML: Front End Suspension 1963 Le Baron

I have a 64 Crown Coupe. My experience with this car agrees with what you said. Definitely new control arm bushings. Some new KYB shocks or other brand of HEAVY DUTY gas shock, but KYB's have been best from my experience. Is there ANY play at all with upper and lower ball joints ? How about the tie-rod ends ? Also you need someone or yourself to make sure the torsion bar height is set correctly to factory ride height specs. My car was not correct when I bought it, one side was lower than the other, but after restoration it was set up properly and now rides like a dream and handles much better than a 5600 lb car should handle. I also have radial tires on my car. Another thing that helped make ALL the difference was replacing the original tired leaf springs in the rear with brand new ones from Detroit spring(?) I recall. This helps control the rear actions on turns and keeps the car smooth and tight when making abrubt maneuvers on city and highway driving. My other Imperial, a 66 LeBaron, had old tired rear springs and my front end was found to be good and needed no new parts but the car rode badly. All this car needed was new rear leaf springs installed and it made the car ride and handle just the way I hoped it would. Hope this helps some

Dave Brown (NJ)