IML: Fuslage Cars on the Rise

I started my relationship with Imperials having to choose between a rough 1960 and a very nice 1965 that was three times the cost of the 1960.  I went for the 1960.

Several years later, I saw my first fuselage car in person, having not been impressed with them in photos.  I became more open minded, and jumped at the chance to test drive one that was for sale for "not much" that I wound up buying on the spot based on the test drive.

It seems to me that the Fuselage cars are under-appreciated and want to put in a plug for them.  There is currently an incredible car listed under auction number: 2496778922

This is a 5,000 mile time capsule car currently at $7,600 as I write this, and it may set a sales price record for such a car.

If you like Imperials and are into other body styles, I suggest that you consider a 1970-1973 car.  The 69's are nice and have an interesting side-marker that I like very much, but the recurring problems with sourcing brake components for the Budd system isn't something that I'd personally want to expose myself to, but that's me.

Why think about a fuselage car?  Well, if you like Imperials, you probably like BIG cars.  These are some of the longest and they really have a hulking, smooth presence.  The design really grew on me as I recognized that these were for sale in the age that was defined by the Concorde and 727.  We were still in an upward swing of innovation and discovery that had defined the 20th century at that time, and these cars were trying to mimic what was going on at that time, just as the finned cars were mimicking the icons of the Jet Age, with the 727 coming out about 57 or 58.

These cars have disc brakes, good handling, mechanical parts are shared with other Chryslers (besides the $200 idler arm that's bad on most all of them), and they steer and drive more like a modern car than the others.  They are set up to take radial tires, unlike the previous cars that are tuned for the softer bias-ply tires.  Most of all they're very soft and comfortable to ride in and with the relatively small greenhouse and comparatively high doors, they feel like they are really surrounding and safe.

The interior tries to repeat the wideness in the dash that is emphasized by the grille, the smoth, character-line-free body, and the crisply creased wide rear bumper.

These cars are currently coming up on ebay frequently and can be had in really super condition for less than $2500.  They are under-appreciated, which means that they may well have a lower survival rate and could become quite rare in the future?

I encurage you to seek one out in the flesh and give it consideration.  They are well worth the low prices that they are commanding, and if you do it right, you won't have to rechrome, repaint, or redo the interior - all of which are tough to do acceptably or cheaply.  All you have to do is maintain and enjoy!  That's a bargain.

-Kenyon