IML: Fuselage Era

My 2 cents worth. I'll 2nd Kenyon's appreciation of the 'wide body' fuselage cars. While most of the components were carried over from earlier years, there are a few areas where they were better designed, and before some of the decontenting of the later 70's models. Door latches were more sturdy, a few more safety items, electronic ignition standard in '72.
Kenyon mentions a little realized design trick with the height of the belt line giving an impression of security to the occupants of the car. The '61 Lincoln used this effectively. (I'm glad to see other folk spend their mental effort on design trivia :-)) On my '72 Newport, the bright trim at the beltline is slightly raised on the furthest outside edge to accentuate the effect. The tumblehome, or curvature of the body side, which created the fuselage form, completed the effect of the curved side glass that Imperial introduced in '57, which had its origins in the '55-56 cars with their canted greenhouse sides. And yet, the fuselage cars get no respect. Are these the Dangerfield of Imperials?
The mimicking of design to current events is an interesting study. My '72 Newport sometimes gets called the Chrysler 747, as it is of that era. The front turn signal lamp units on the '72-3 Imperials were a take on gas lanterns in the nostalgia craze just prior to these years, as well as the pillowed and buttoned seat upholstry design in some of those cars.

Here's the link to the virtually new 1973 that Kenyon mentioned.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43905&item=2496778922&rd=1And it seems that I read that this '72 coupe was up for sale. It looks likenew, as well, and should make someone a great car.http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1972/Terry/index.htmEricPortland, Oregon*******************************************************Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:19:08 -0700 (PDT)From: Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>Subject: IML: Fuslage Cars on the RiseReply-To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=:75247Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-asciiIt seems to me that the Fuselage cars are under-appreciated and want to putin a plug for them.  There is currently an incredible car listed underauction number: 2496778922