Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:06:04 -0800 (PST)
From: David Duricy <desotobravo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: AutoTemp II Insight

<snip>

Now the hiss was gone, but the fan would only come on
in DEF or HI DEF. After DEF or HI DEF had been
pressed, the fan would stay on if AUTO or HI AUTO were
pressed, but neither AUTO nor HI AUTO would trip the
fan if pressed first.

This is a symptom not listed in the service manual.

The cause turned out to be a faulty number one check
valve in my replacement vacuum harness. With a good,
used check valve installed, the fan came on just as it
should in all modes, and the AutoTemp is working
great.