IML: '61 Interiors

Teresa and all,
If anyone needs a nice blue cloth interior for a '61 4 door, there is a nice set out at Wildcat Auto Wrecking near Portland, Oregon. The car has original clear plastic covers that are ripped to shreads, revealing a very much intact set of cloth seats. As I recall, the cloth wasn't quite perfect but for 43 years old, it is in remarkable shape. Preferrably, someone would want to gently clean up the seats and recover in clear covers again as the cloth would likely be pretty brittle and wouldn't hold up to much friction, but under fresh clear covers, it would look great and last a long while. I'm pretty sure it was a Crown model as I recall it having leather trim which I think the Customs didn't get, and it has arm rests front and rear. It would be nice to see it go to a worthy '61 Crown 4dr w/a blue interior, wonder how many of those are still hanging around. FYI

Eric
Portland, Oregon
Hello again:

A couple of months ago, we helped another IML member save a 1961 =
Imperial.  The car had been repainted, but the interior was mostly the =
color that it was originally.  However, upon opening the hood of the =
car, there was a code stamped right on top of the upper radiator cross =
member where your hood latch is (not sure of the exact name here), as I =
recall.  I looked the information up on the Imperial Club website, and =
found that this was the code for the exterior color, which should help =
you narrow down which interior color combinations that you could have =
had in your car dramatically.  If you study all of the color brochures =
on the website for your car, I would think that you could determine what =
is original and what isn't.  I would think that Paul is right here, if =
you have trim pieces that are Navy, your dash is Navy, and your rear =
seat is Navy, then I would agree that Navy would be your original =
interior color.  In the case of the aforementioned 1961 Imp, the front =
seats were not entirely original either, as was also the case with my =
1959.  This is pretty typical since the front seats get the majority of =
wear in a car and and owners would do something with them to keep them =
useable longer versus going to the expense of reupholstering the entire =
interior.  If you do much looking around at old cars that have not been =
restored, you find will a lion's share that have the front seats redone, =
seat covers, or some other fabric has been stitched in hap-hazardly to =
allow the user to keep using the seat without sitting directly on the =
foam.

Teresa Smith
1959 Custom South Hampton  =20