IML: KYBs

Larry,
The KYB shocks are a gas charged shock with an amount (100lbs?) of lifting energy vs the static oil type shock that our cars came standard with. This will heighten the body of the car a small amount, imagine lifting each corner of the car with about 100lbs of force. When people speak of it raising the car, this is what is meant. It took my somewhat sagging rear springs on my '72 Newport and returned it to pretty much standard height. I replaced a number of front suspension parts when I put them on the front, so I didn't have an opportunity to measure the change.

The fitment for your car should be KG4507 for the fronts. Plan on seperating the lower ball joint from the knuckle, and prepare for some mount grinding on the lower shock bushing barrel. Try fitting the lower mount 1st to see if grinding is needed. I needed to do that for my Newport, I've read in a number of places that it is required in other C-body cars.

KG5512 is the unit # that most C-body Chryslers use for the rear shocks, they may be the same for the '60 Imperial. I contacted KYB about 3 years ago, I may have even spoken to the same rep that you've contacted, and he recommended the KG5423 from their Truck & Van division for my Newport's rear axle. They are very stiff. I had the specs for compressed and expanded dimensions at the time and he cross referenced it to a late 80's 1/2ton Dodge pickup. If you plan to tow a trailer, or to keep your trunk full of spares and/or a rear a/c unit, they might be the ones for you. I'm sure the KG5512's would provide a softer ride, if they are the proper fitment.

I've had KYBs on the following cars: 72 Opel Manta, 76 Opel SportWagon, 78 VW Rabbit, 84 Mercedes 190E, and the 72 Newport Custom sedan. In each car, they provide the same characteristics of a very fast rebound and a lighter on the tires feel. With my Newport, I was able to fine tune the torsion bars for a better floatiness to control ratio. To say the least, the difference from the 20 year old Atlas brand oil shocks to the KYBs was night and day, turning it from a hyperdynamic projectile with a mind of it's own to being a fully under control road monster.

If you go with a set, I'd be interested in hearing your results and opinion.

Eric
'63 Crown Four-Door
'72 Newport Custom sedan
Before I make any decision I would like to ask if anyone would like to =
comment on Tim's email below. The email is edited however the below =
paragraph is what I am wanting comments on, especially the first =
sentence.
Stay safe
Larry
1960 LeBaron Sedan

Larry,
I have a concern about the spring assist. If this is needed to keep =
car level, then I do not recommend the KYB. Shocks do not raise a =
vehicle (unless air, which we do not handle). Mounts did not look like =
anything special. If the use of a spring assist shock is not necessary =
you should not have any problem with the units the site suggested. I =
would still need extended & compressed lengths and mounting hole sizes =
to pursue further.
Tim Oldiges
KYB America LLC