Re: IML: Imperial speed trials

Please see inserts

 When I hear/read something like this...
> "I was doing in excess of 130mph"
> ...all I can think of is, "With drum brakes and bias ply tires!"
>
> Glad you're one of the survivors Dave!  :-)

Anything we do has risk involved, especially when the activity is fun.  It is a
simple risk/benefit analysis.  How much you enjoy speed and under what
circumstances you try it to minimize the risk.

In this country, sometimes people are too scared of speed, and connect it
mentally with danger and death.  Especially those that have never driven fast.
Part of the reason is too many people in this country have access to vehicles,
which often are faster than their brakes, handling, or driver experience can
handle.

> difference would be, but anyway, I don't doubt I was doing in excess of
> 130mph because burying the needle was pretty effortless and there was gas
> pedal left. Top end was the only way I could catch a particular hopped up
> 383 orange 69 Charger. I guess I would expect that kind of speed out of the
> 67. If I felt the need to find out...of course. :-)

Let's all keep in mind speedometer errors here, although the C-body/Imperial
speedometer tennds to have lower error at the upper end of its speed range.

The charger was most likely geared lower, and being a lighter car would outrun
you at lower speeds.  But his weight advantage would not do much for him at the
higher speeds, and his lower gearing may help you as well.  Did that NYer have
dual exhaust?  That would help your case.  The 67 would be a bit slower due to
the 906 heads, but a stock 68 would be about the same (the small weight
difference would not do much at high speed unless up a hill, I don't drive fast
downhill).  An "upgrade" to the HP cam will also help, as the stock cams in
these 440s was very small.

D^2