Re: IML: TorqueFlite Mechanic in Columbus, OH?

Re: IML: TorqueFlite Mechanic in Columbus, OH?

Chris:

The shift from first to second involves the engagement of the 2nd gear (or kickdown band).  When you are driving in third at 40 mph and push the accelerator to the floor does the transmission slip when going from 3rd to 2nd?  If this is the case you may just need to adjust the kickdown band.  This adjustment is done on the outside of the transmission.  About halfway up on the drivers side of the transmission case is a square adjusting screw with a locknut.  I believe the hex is about 3/8 (maybe 7/16) and the locknut is a 3/4 nut or larger.  The adjusting procedure calls for an inch pound torque wrench.  The procedure calls for loosening the locknut, tightening the adjusting screw to 70 - 75 inch pounds then backing off 2 1/4 turns and locking the locknut.  You can get close with a foot pound wrench but access is not the best.  I have adjusted these without a torque wrench and come quite close. You just need to have a feel for what 75 inch pounds of torque feels like.  It is not a lot.  Twenty five pounds of effort on the end of a 3 inch long wrench will do it.
Also I would change the fluid and filter if it has not been changed for a while.  Even though 30,000 miles is not a lot of miles on the fluid the years may have taken their toll.

                                                            Rolland Westra