Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Weight

I recently used a 2 Ton floor jack in conjunction with a 6 ton bottle jack on the other side to put new tires on my 1948 Crown Imperial Limo. I obviously blocked the load as well after the front end  was up but both jacks were in place for several days in a row while freeing up the brake drums and loosening anchor bolts and not once did the jacks not hold.  I had about a 1/2 inch between the undercarriage and the blocks and it held all the way through.

The one original equipment item I don't have is the bumper jack.  It's always a little touchy but it does allow for the wheels to be removed and put on.  I had to use hydraulic jacks on the frame to put on the new back tires.  THEY ARE HUGE!  (980x15)  They are larger than my Dodge Ram pickup tires!  For the sake of authenticity I'd like to locate an original equipment bumper jack.  Any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated!

Ned     '48 Crown Imperial