Re: IML: Tranny fluid for a semi-automatic

Re: IML: Tranny fluid for a semi-automatic

ned, i was never able to locate 10w oil anywhere, although i do believe a guy in the WPC magazine advertises it. i do know that jack oil is a thin oil and if we checked with the manufacturer i would not be surprised to find out that it is a 10w or equivalent. i also know from experience that it works and never did any damage to my transmission. i had the gyromatic which is different from the unit you have with the fluid coupling, but the oil requirement is the same. i also know from the imperial site that todays oils are far superior to the oils in 1948 and even a cheap oil of today is better than  the best oil of those earlier times. i am not familiar with the tractor oil  but if the viscosity is equal to a 10w then it should also do a fine job. don't panic if you cannot get 10w. the other oils mentioned will work equally as well and not hurt the transmission. some products of yesteryear are not available today and for the most part todays products are better anyway. my powerflite in my 54 chrysler calls for a type A fluid which is almost impossible to find. i use dexron 3 and it does a great job.   dennis