IML: The dreaded Asterisk discussion, read on at your own (aste) risk.

IML: The dreaded Asterisk discussion, read on at your own (aste) risk.

The asterisk means that the dash cluster has been changed.  Reason for this MIGHT be that the car was converted, but it could also have been changed for some other reason, for instance a failure of the display unit.   In any case, the date and previous mileage reading is supposed to be on the door sticker.  The conversion kit includes the new dash cluster, along with about 3000$ worth of other parts, so there is no way to avoid the asterisk if it is converted  However, all the replacement dash clusters cause the asterisk to come on, so it isn’t any proof of what caused it.

The odometer only reads to 199,999 on these cars, then rolls over.  I do not know if the asterisk comes on when that happens.  If you have a car which has rolled over, you can always decode the correct mileage by switching the readout to KM, then comparing the two numbers.  The KM rolls over first (at around 125,000 MI), so if it reads 199,999 MI, the KM would read somewhere around 120,000KM if it’s the first time around for the MI display.  Got it?

By the time the MI is up to the second roll over, at 399,999, the KM would have rolled over 3 times and would read 40,000 KM, if I did that right – (my head is spinning).

These door stickers were also used when the car was converted, if it was converted (the car on eBay is still EFI).  When the conversion was done, there are many other indicators, and also there is a further sticker on the core support that gives the revised smog specs, which are of course quite different than the EFI specs.

Off the subject, but my EFI coupe has just again passed the extremely tough California Biannual Dynamometer smog test – for the umpteenth time in its 24th year (and, I say again, got 22.8 MPG on a 4400 mile trip in October)

The bottom line on the asterisk story is that if you buy a car with an asterisk, you are taking a ‘risk’, and whether or not it is an aster - onomical risk is not easy to determine.

Enough for now, back in my cage.

Dick Benjamin