IML: Propane conversions

Usually (but not always) the propane hardware add restrictions in the air
cleaner that reduce perormance even when you are on on gasoline.  The higher
the rpm, the more the impact.
I realise that this is becoming rather non-Imperial related but this is for those (probably European members) who might be thinking of conversion to propane,. D2, who knows a lot more about mechanics than I do,  is right about the air restriction. I overcame this by building a vacuum controlled air restrictor which only operates on the propane cycle.

As for the difference in engine performance, I can only say that after 5 years of daily driving on both propane and gas that there is a difference. It is a quality that is hard to define, particularly on as smooth running an engine as a 413. In my own mind I have always thought of propane as providing a "gentler" ride than gasoline. Of course, that might be due to the marginal loss of power.

Best wishes,

Tony V.