IML: 59 Imperial - Starter solenoid questions

IML: 59 Imperial - Starter solenoid questions

Son's 59 imperial suddenly didn't start, just got the "click click".
Plenty of battery power.  Took out the starter motor and solenoid,
going to call around on monday for quotes on getting it rebuilt, etc.,
but have questions about the solenoid.  The bus that attaches to the
innards of the starter motor just came out with no real attachment, and
the end looked like a cutout that a screw would fit into, like sliding
it from the top to rest on the screw.  I took the starter motor apart
to see what was happening, and there was some threads of a screw loose,
the brushes seemed to have plenty left, so I was hoping that making a
better contact from the solenoid to the inside of the motor would
provide the power torun the sucker.
However, the bus from the solenoid to the motor is not
attached by a bolt, rather it seems to almost have been a bolt that was

cut away and pounded flush with the bus bar.
Is this the way it's supposed to be?  Picture at
www.stlucas.com/solenoid.jpg showing the upper contact to the battery
and the side contact to the ignition switch, and the bus bar on the
lower left (with the part that inserts into the starter motor on lower
left).  Starter motor is a rebuilt CK73, 5896/Chrysler 1889200, 070,
but solenoid has no markings on it.
I'm tempted to get a think hunk of copper bar, screw it solidly inside
the starter motor, bringing it out, and bolting it to the existing
solenoid bus bar, making sure not to ground it all to the case.
Thoughts?
Joe