IML: Getting to the master cylinder -- is there some secret?

IML: Getting to the master cylinder -- is there some secret?

Happy New Year y'all:

I have been reviewing the Service Manual and the club site to determine the secret to getting to the master cylinder on my '61 Crown Southampton.

So far, I haven't found anything that has been very helpful.

Is there a secret to getting to it without removing the power booster?

As a progress update for the list:  I have completed the rebuilding of all four brakes including new brake lines & hoses and am ready to add new brake fluid and bleed the system (thus the question about the master cylinder).

I have installed the rebuilt power steering pump, the rebuilt carburetor, the new fuel pump & the refurbished fuel tank.  With fresh fuel & a new fuel filter & a number of pumps of the gas pedal with the choke wide open, she started right up!

After rough idling for several minutes, she settled right in to a nice smooth idle, though I have a problem with either the valve cover gaskets leaking or I have an exhaust leak (or both) because she is spitting some smoke from that general area on each side of the engine.  Valve cover gaskets aren't that hard to replace are they?

I have dropped the transmission oil pan and am waiting on a new gasket that's on back order because the old gasket was leaking like a sieve.  She is about 1,000 pounds lighter for all the gunk & oil & grease & grime & dirt & well, you get the idea, that I literally scraped off with a putty knife (I think I did the damage to the pan filter) from the undercarriage of the car.

She is still on jack stands in the garage but not for much longer.  :-)  This is so much fun, I could just kick myself for not getting in to this hobby/passion sooner.

Anyway, any suggestions or helpful hints on accessing the master cylinder would be great.

Joe
Allen, Texas
'61 Crown Southampton
Go Sooners!!!!  Beat USC for the NCAA football national championship!!!!!