RE: IML: 1968 Check Gauges light/Oil Pressure

RE: IML: 1968 Check Gauges light/Oil Pressure

Where can I get a mechanical gauge and where is it installed.

Thanks Luis

68 Convertable

dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
There is another possiblility for low oil pressure at idle. I used to have a
similar problem in the LeBaron (also 68).

At a hot idle, the oil gage used to creap low, slowly but stadily, until it
disappeared. (the check gages light was irrelevant, because its on all the
time due to an inoperable gas gage). It used to make me worry, but I never
listened to the lifters, which indicated that there was at least some pressure.
Then, one day, the presure went low at all times. I was in the middle of a
drive to pick up Mike P. from the airport, so since I did not hear any signs of
low oil pressure, I kept on (in fact that day we pushed that car to over 130 mph
with "zero" oil pressure). Then, I replaced the sender, and I also installed a
T junction for a mechanical gage. It turns out, even at the hottest idle, the
oil pressure never gets below 40 psi. What seemed to be hapening was the gage
was "half working" was that the low voltage at idle was insuffucient to sustain
the dying sending unit.

Before you spend too much more sweat over this, install a mechanical gage so you
know what your real oil pressure is.

D^2, 2s68

Quoting Dick Benjamin :