IML: Year ID question

Hello fellow Imperialists!
 I just got the paperwork on my 198* (Guido) and it has 1981 on some papers, and 1983 on others. How can I get the correct year from examining the car itself? I know it sounds cliche, but they all look alike!
Thanks in advance, and I'll take the answer off the air...
David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)
"I'm figuring out what's good for me, but only by a process of elimination"