[FWDLK] Clones, Restoration, and History

[FWDLK] Clones, Restoration, and History

Forward Lookers,    Where does this all begin and end, I think there should
be a background check before anyone buys a classic car, maybe even a 24 hour
waiting period, and the FBI probably needs to be notified.... Seriously when
you talk about the high dollar high status cars like the Adventurer, 300s,
D500, and Fury, etc., aren't the rising prices going to dictate that the
authenticity, correctness, and originality get scrutinized with a keener eye.
Cars that don't measure up will be documented and exposed on an increasing
basis. If you want to be an asset to the Forward Look concerning these cars
then-Historical documentation is king, restoration quality is paramount, and
honesty is the golden rule. The buyer of such a vehicle should beware and if
they are lacking in product knowledge they would be foolish to have it all
supplied by the seller. This list serves a vital function in that regard and
supplies information that helps educate collectors on these cars, a far
better source of knowledge than any other source I know of, and its the
attitude of our peers on matters such as these that to a LARGE degree defines
the standards by which our cars will be measured. I for one am in favor of a
high standard of scrutiny for are most prominent models. If it's a clone it's
a clone and value is arrived at according to this fact, if its a ground up
restoration of a rust bucket, then its a rescued rust out and value depends
on that fact and of course the quality of work that was performed. If a car
is an original the value will be based on how original, what condition, etc.,
the scenarios go on and on. I am sure these values can overlap and vary
greatly. The wild card is honesty and that's up to the seller or owner, and
they are going to run both ways-honest straight shooters and some well.....
well, they maybe should take a good look in the mirror.     Thankfully from
what I know here in the Forward Look those folks are few and far between, and
let me say I'm thankful for the valuable help and support I've gotten from
members of this list. Thanks Tim