[FWDLK] Hershey, pt. 1 - Chocolate Rain

[This is the first of a three-part story on my journey to Hershey and my
trip around the World's Biggest Automotive Swap Meet.  Kind of long, and
not always Forward Look-related.  Feel free to click DELETE now if you'd
like.]

HERSHEY

Day One:  Chocolate Rain.

Now, I first went to Hershey last year, and was stunned by what I
found.  The scope and size of the event is truly hard to comprehend.
White field.  Chocolate Field & Chocolate Field Annex.  Green Field.
Car Corral.  A 1,700 car AACA car show.  It takes days to walk the
fields; 2 at least, under good conditions.

Last year, Hershey occured during one of Pennsylvania's indian summers
-- every day was 75 to 80 degrees, with a light wind, and puffy white
clouds in a blue sky.  With weather like that, and car parts to boot, it
was my image of Heaven.

This year, it wasn't quite the same.  When I left at 2:30 AM Thursday
morning, the rain was heavy and steady.  No wind, no thunder, no
lightning.  Just a heavy fall rain that gave no signs of letting up, and
never did...

I'm kind of used to hitting these events in my trusty old 1979 Monte
Carlo.  Sadly, that car bit the dust (for now) on another parts chasing
expedition last February, so I had my new trusty mount.  I never have
been able to Imagine Myself In a Mercury, but that's what I had -- 1986
Grand Marquis (Mom's old car).  As far as cars go, it's completely
forgettable.  A blah 80's-something black sedan with no character
whatsoever.  It's only special "feature" is the amazing ability it has
to hydroplane on as little as a single teaspoon of water.  Fortunately,
I've learned to live with that over the years.  It doesn't go out of
control when it decides to go water-skiing, however, it just maintains
it usual Chris-Craft-in-quicksand handling that it has when the roads
are dry.  (Which came first, anyway -- Mercury cars or Mercury marine?
No matter.)   I got on Lake Turnpike and pointed her bow towards
Hershey.

About four hours later, I arrived.  I decided to skip the local
campground ($25 a night, with no hookups!) settling instead on the
Milton Hershey School, which charges $10 a day, and allows overnight
camping.  Plus, the money helps a local school.  I'm always up for
that.   As a bonus. it's only about a 5 minute walk from the swap meet.
I parked my car, packed my lunch, and walked to the grounds.

MUD.  That's I have to say.  MUD.  Mud, rain, mud, rain, mud, rain, mud,
rain, mud.  It rained incessantly, and 2/3rds of the vendors didn't even
bother opening.  Nonetheless, I slopped soaking wet through the
ankle-deep mud, in a sleep-deprived daze for over 5 hours looking at
empty vendor spaces... I decided to call it an early day.  So much for
day one, eh?

[Tomorrow:  Hershey, pt.2 - From Here to Mudternity]

-Dave