Re: [FWDLK] Removing debris from fresh air duct

Booudahead@aol.com wrote:

>                I'm sending this out to get some ideas on how to clean out
> debris that fall into the fresh air duct underneath the windshield. The only
> way I can see on removing the leaves in there is to try to get a vacuum hose
> inside the duct as far as it goes, but I don't see this as getting all the
> debris out. If anyone out there has any ideas to do this easier, I would
> appreciate  your input.

I heard this on Click & Clack... with a guy in Texas with a 1959 Plymouth.  The
 guy
used the car in a lot of weddings, and the bird seed that they all threw got in
 the
cowl vents and he had flowers growing up through the vent, inside and outside of
 the
car.  =)

I think the only ways in there to clean are 1) through the vent (if it's
 removable)
or 2) through the firewall, which means you'd have to take off the heater box.

I use a hose and gentle pressure to wash stuff out of my air valley (there are
 drain
passages), then wait for it to dry by running the fan on full.

A great product (if you can find it) is called FRIGI-FRESH.  It comes in about a
 7oz
aerosol spray can.  It's white with blue writing and a snowflake on the label.
 It's
a great deodorizer and anti-bacterial spray for all air ducts.  It kills mold,
mildew, and bacteria that cause bad odors from the vents, and it's also the
 closest
thing to "new car smell" that I've ever seen.  You just spray it in through the
intake with the fan on, and it will coat and clean all of the air passages.

GM and Ford both make their own brands of the stuff, at $65 and $55 a can,
respectively.  Insane!  I however found it at my local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer
 in
the parts department for $5 a can.  I bought 8 cans (a case -- they gave me a $5
discount).  Definitely worth the time it takes to call around and find it.  It's
more of an industry chemical, so I've never seen it at a parts store, but many
appliance repair shops and garages will carry it.

One guy on the web who sells it is:  http://www.bobsautowerks.com/class.html ,
 if
you're really stuck finding it.

I highly recommend it!