Re: [FWDLK] Power Brake Booster

In a message dated 11/26/98 3:11:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jhassel@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Does anyone out there know of a unit that will fit on my car, a '55 Dodge
  see at http://netnow.micron.net/~jhassel/page3.html)  without requiring a
 lot of modification?   >>
John,
   The Mid-Sixties A, B, or C body cars would be the logical choice.  You'll
probably want to stay away from disc brake cars, as the master cylinders are
larger and the proportioning valves are different.
   Be sure to get the proportioning valve when you get your booster/master
cylinder assembly.  You may have to make minor modifications to the firewall
mounting and the rod attatchment point on the brake pedal.  Run lines from the
master cylinder to the proportioning valve (you can use the pre-flared jobs
from the parts store), being sure leave adequate strain relief in each line (a
simple loops works well).  Then just plumb in the lines to the front and rear
brakes, and forget about having to worry about only having a single master
cylinder!  I've performed this upgrade on a number of 62-65 cars, and it's
great.
   One note:  After the conversion, take a slow, careful test drive.  Recheck
all lines for leaks, etc.  Then find some open , flat, dry road where you can
make some hard stops from highway speeds.  Should you notice any rear wheel
lockup, you'll want to install a pressure reducing valve in the rear brake
line.  The valve is available from any Chrysler family dealer, through the
Mopar Performance group under part number P5249088.  The dealer will probably
want about $75.00 for it.  This step in important, because the rears will lock
much easier on wet pavement.  Even if it's OK on dry pavement, use caution the
first time you drive in the rain.
   Mancini Racing in Detroit also has these valves, as well as the late model
aluminum master cylinders (albeit for manual brakes only), and master cylinder
adapters for the conversion of earlier 60's cars, and  (don't know if they're
a direct bolt-on for Forward Lookers), and a slick adjustable brake pushrod.
They also stock front and rear disc brake conversions, intended for drag
racing, but these kits are a little pricey.  Mancini's prices are generally
much lower than a dealers'.  They ship UPS same day as you order, and are
pretty good people to work with.  Ask for Art, and tell him Steve from
Frankenmuth sent 'ya!
   Mancini's phone number is 810/294-6670.  They also have a web site at
www.manciniracing.com, but I haven't been on in a while, and last time I was,
it was under construction.
   Good luck with your conversion, and if there's anything I can do, you know
where to find me!  If you need a special adapter for the master cylinder, and
can make a dimensionally accurate drawing, get it to me and I'll whiz one up
in the shop!

Steve