[FWDLK] Needing engine learnin'

Hello Everyone.
I would like to get some advice on engine rebuilding, and machining.
I am basically your average do-it-yourselfer (typical limited funds type of guy
- But as they say, necessity is the mother of invention), and I would like to
learn enough to feel comfortable doing my own engine rebuild.  I need to know
first if I am getting in over my head, and second, where some good resources
might be.
I would like to know how to rebuild an engine ground up (so far I have only
taken them apart, and have never put one back together), while only going to a
shop/machinist when I absolutely have to.  Trust me, I do not need to be Mr. pro
builder or anything, I would  just like to save cost while adding quality
performance.
My first question is about what can actually be done at home, and what can't.
I figure honing an engine is possible, but what about boring an engine?  How
about porting heads, etc., is this too much of  a chore?   Is replacing camshaft
bearings possible?  How about valves, springs, and the rest of the valve-train.
Are the main bearings very difficult, con rods, and pins?   What sort of
specialty tools would I need for any of the above jobs?
What needs to go to the shop?   I assume that any sort of checking and
balancing, possibly boring, etc. needs to be done at a shop.
Finally, are there any good books/ videos/ Internet sights/ etc. that might be
able to satisfy this rebuild information itch?
Thanks,
Pete