[FWDLK] De Soto exports

I don't add my two cents to the list much, but today I have too!

De Soto (a former division of Chrysler) never merged with Pontiac!  We were
directed to a web site by a list member, to see pictures of De Soto's (or
Plymouth and Dodge's) altered for export.  The site started off with the
blasphemy that De Soto had merged with Pontiac. I emailed them of their
ignorance and you guys should too. Apparently they print anything! Next thing
you know.... we'll merge will Dalimer.....!

In the 1959 article, the Dinky toy is a 1957 De Soto Fireflite (unaltered)  4
DR Sedan.
It was made in England, Model 192, and retails (depending on condition and
packaging) anywhere from about $45.00 to $220.00. Nothing unusual about it.

When I was overseas in the Phillipines in '56,'57 I noted that Plymouth's were
serving as taxi cabs on base that were labled Dodges, as they had Dodge
grills.  I believe these cars were from Canada, who often offered U.S. autos
as different models, with changed grills.

Anyhow to set the record straight, De Soto did NOT merge with Pontiac.
Whoever wrote the article was from out of the country, as they also spelled
tire, tyre, the English version.

Leon Haddix
National De Soto Club #2723
1957 De Soto Firesweep (which WAS built on the '57 Dodge 122" w.b.chasis)