[FWDLK] Crushed beauties.

I am a little unclear as to how anyone can make a decent profit crushing a car
without parting it out first.   Could someone explain how this is feasible?   My
uncle spotted about 4 '50s cars, 2 in really great shape at a bone yard here in
Colorado (I think it was in Pueblo) one was a beautiful 57 fury 318 W/2 4bbl.
My uncle asked if he could buy it (as he knows I am looking for a fin car), and
the guy got mad and told him to leave, adding that he was going to crush them
all that day.  The man threatened that if my uncle didn't leave ASAP, he was
going to call the cops.  He then proceeded to hop in his tractor and load up the
fury.  How is that for a giant waist?   Is there some sort of kickback from new
car makers, or environmentalist groups etc?   How can the cost of metal be
enough to warrant crushing a rare 57?   I also heard from a family member who
lives in California that the Japanese bought up a lot of old junkyard lots and
crushed everything for metal, apparently, 50s bone yard cars are now a lot
harder to find in Ca.  Anyone know if this rumor has some truth to it?

Finally in other news I found a beauty of a 63 imperial that was for sale for
1,700 here in Denver.  It was a crown, the interior needed work- it was just
worn, the body was in great shape, very little rust, daily driver,  I have seen
it first hand - very good deal.  e-mail if you are interested.