Re: [FWDLK] french FWLK cars

Philippe COURANT <accf_clb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Monday January 4, 1999 at
 2:37pm:

(snip)

> ...the most original were the Export models like
> DeSoto Diplomat and Dodge Kingsway. Ive pics of
> 56/57/58/60 DeSoto Diplomat and 58/59 Dodge Kingsway.
> As you know all these cars are Plymouth with
> front end clips of DeSoto or Dodge (except the 60
> Diplomat coming from Dodge Pioneer). Ive also a pic of
> a very scarce model : a 60 Chrysler Coronado which is
> a Plymouth 60 limo And itsnt a custom

Bonjour, Phillipe,

I hope you will check out Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge Central's website.  The
 section on Kingsways/Diplomats can be accessed at
 <http://z.simplenet.com/cc/world/plymouth.html>.

I am also passing this info on to All-Par (CPD Central "parent" website)
 webmaster Dr. David Zatz, <valiant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>.  I am sure he would
 appreciate any pictures you could forward of these cars.  I know I would.
 Please ask him for advice before sending pictures (though I'm quite sure he'll
 want them).

FYI, in the US, Chrysler used the "Coronado" name on what we refer to as a
 "spring special" (new models brought out in midyear to stimulate showroom
 traffic at what would otherwise be a slow time of year).  The DeSoto Coronado
 was a trim option on the '54 Firedome and '55 Fireflite 4-door sedans (if
 available on other styles I'm not aware of it).  Coronado body color on the
 (three) cars I've seen was what looked like a fluorescent green; in fact, there
 is at least one '55 Coronado which appears to have come from the factory in
 green with a white top and black sidespear, which would AFAIK make this the
 only factory DeSoto 3-tone paint scheme (although 3-tones were not unusual on
 Chryslers and were quite common on Dodges).

I've only seen pictures of the Plymouth limousines, and the '59s I saw pictures
 of did not have "Coronado" nameplates (although that does not mean they were
 not called that; I just don't know that part).  I've also seen a picture of a
 '62, which was called a Coronado.  I believe these were built by Chrysler SA in
 Antwerp, Belgium, but don't know that part for sure.  The pictures I have seen
 look like extended 2-door sedans.

Other members of the Forward Look list, particularly Markko Longren of Finland,
 are more knowledgeable about Kingsways/Diplomats than I am, but I do know
 there's a great deal of interest on this list in these MoPars most of us have
 never seen.

Mike Sealey

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com