Re: [FWDLK] Newer 318 into 56 Savoy

David Grove Grove Automotive wrote:

> Yes - the late model small block does have the same bolt pattern as the 56,
> but you can't use the converter so it's a moot point.  The stick-shift guys
> are in good shape though.  I think he (Scott) was going to use the 727
> anyway.  If he uses a 62 - 64 trans, he can keep his pushbuttons (if there
> are enough of them - he may have a Powerflite!). Fabricating a trans mount
> is duck soup.   Personally, I would use a big block (providing mounts are
> obtainable) just for the GRUNT factor.  I don't think 56's were much good
> at road racing anyway, so you might as well make it REAL good at something!
>  Just my 2%, DaveG.
>
> ----------
> > From: Steven M. Charette <SC68Cuda@xxxxxxx>
> > To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Newer 318 into 56 Savoy
> > Date: Friday, January 08, 1999 1:30 PM
> >
> > Scott,
> >         Depending on your budget, there's alot that can be done with the
> small
> > blocks.  Lots of good bolt-on goodies from Mopar Performance and
> others... if
> > you don't yet have one, get a copy of the new Mopar Performance Catalog
> and
> > the Engine Book for proven performance tips.  You could easily have that
> bad
> > boy running in the 12's on pump gas.
> >         Like they say, there's no replacement for displacement!  I'd go
> with the 360.
> > There are oil pans with different sump locations, but just remember that
> the
> > 360 uses a different pan than the 273-318-340.  If your pockets are deep,
> you
> > can get almost 400 inches out of a stroked 360!  You can get the 380hp
> crate
> > motor for around $3500, ready to rock.  Screw on your carb (or fuel
> injection)
> > and hang on!  The 300hp motor is a few hundred less for the weak at
> heart.
> > Lots of good info in the Mopar magazines... let me know if you need some.
>  You
> > won't get the brutal torque of the big block, but the car will handle
> alot
> > better not being so nose heavy.  How much tire can you really get on a
> '56
> > anyway?
> >         If I'm not mistaken, the small block will bolt to your
> bellhousing.  I could
> > be (and probably am) wrong on this.  Even if it will, you will need some
> > adaptation to the torque convertor.  You might think about using the
> A-518
> > with overdrive so you could use a little more rear gear (3.91-4.10?)  I'm
> > working on an adapter that will allow the use of the push buttons with
> the
> > later trans.  I'm also working on a control package to engage the OD
> > automatically.
> [...]

If I remember right, the 62 to 64 trans also has a park cable separate from the
shift cable. How do you handle that? I just picked up a 57 Plaza 2 door club
sedan that I am going to put a 413 in. ( jade green and sand dune white that
matches my 57 hardtop) I have a 62 trans that I would like to use. My thought
was to possibly use a newer trans, put a shifter on the floor and look for a
pushbutton delete plate. Any thought on this?
Don.