Re: [FWDLK] Speakers and Radios

"Larry C. Stanley" wrote:

> I found a '58 Plymouth that had a radio that does not look like the radio
> with the diecast faceplate and knobs on one side. This radio had a stamped
> metal faceplate that had no preset buttons and the knobs on each side of
> the dial. It may have been an aftermarket radio with an adapter plate for
> '57-'58 Plymouths. (Anyone know?) The radio was a total rusty loss (No
> windshield) but the chrome plating protected the faceplate. An aftermarket
> (the 'Shack) FM/AM Tape deck fit the opening after a little filing to the
> plate. Not 100% stock, but for a driver it looks enough like a factory unit
> and I did not have to butcher the factory AM unit or dash.
> I lucked into another similiar faceplate (no radio) for a '58 wagon I want
> to make into a driver. Does anyone know anything about these radios and the
> stamped faceplates?

I have a 1957 Sears catalog that shows the radio you are talking about, Larry.
They had one radio and a variety of adapter plates to fit a huge number of
vehicles.  I'm guessing that yours is one of those models...

Along the same lines, I've picked up 3 (non-functional) radios over the years
that are almost identical in apperance to the stock radios.  One even had the
instruction sheet (which I have unfortunately misplaced).  They are
identifiable by 4 distinct points:

1)  The numbers on the dial are printed directly on the reverse side of the
glass.
2)  The speaker plugs in via an RCA-style jack
3)  There are "spinner" like fader knobs behind the control knobs.
4)  No pressed in "notches" where the 2 extra buttons would be on a searchtune.

Anyone know about these?  Apparently they were pretty popular.  I remember the
instruction sheet bragging "1 transistor!", but little else.  Perhaps these
were aftermarket, but installed by dealers?

-Dave