Re: [FWDLK] Virus HOAX.

> Thanks for the thought, but this is one of the many "successful" internet
 hoaxes
> going around.  Please
> notify whomever you received that email from (and whomever you might have
> forwarded it to) that there
> is no such virus, and to check the web sites listed at the end of this email
 if
> they wish to confirm this...

Nice explanation.  We get these virus "warnings" constantly where I
work.  They are an extreme nuisance.  Our normal everyday users often
believe them and then forward them all over our campus.  It bogs the
mail system, gets people worked up about nonexistant viruses that are
said to do thing that are physically impossible, and are generally
just a pain in the #$%.  I have a tendancy to just hit 'Delete'
whenever I see a subject that says "Virus Warning", which is bad
because when a valid warning comes, I might miss it.  This is the
third false warning I've seen this week alone.

I did get a possible valid warning today from a security company in
Santa Clara, CA, (RAM Information System) about an attachment to spam
email called picture.exe.  It is a trojan horse that extracts a
couple of files that collect information on your file system and then
sends the encrypted info to a advertising company in China.  No
damage is done, you are just put onto many junk mailing lists.  This
virus seems possible, and the way junk email is going now days,
probable.  This company (RAM) supposedly is posting two detection
programs on their site (don't have the address), and other virus
scanners are supposed to find it.

-Shannon

Shannon White                        Waco, TX
             MoProud of my Mopars!
ask me about my '60 and '61 Chrysler Windsors
                swhite@xxxxxxxx