Re: [FWDLK] Auto body Class

That's great that you have an opportunity to take classes like these.  I
hope the teacher and the shop have up-to-date technology.  When I was first
learning to weld (1991), I took a class in auto body repair.  Unfortunately,
the guy teaching the class hadn't seen the inside of a body shop since the
early 80s.  He didn't even know how to MIG weld !  I got my money back real
quick !  Eventually, I got some videotapes and after lots of practice,
became proficient.

>Most significantly is using epoxys to bond body panels as opposed to
>welding. (stronger bond, sealed against water penetration).

I've heard about these, but I'm not sure I'm ready to believe it.  How do
they perform under extreme temperatures, or do they get brittle after 10 or
20 years ?  I say stick to welding.  Also, I don't think the DMV will accept
an epoxyed floorboard or trunk pan.  BTW, there's no penetration if a panel
is butt-welded.

 Any other opinions ?