[FWDLK] air tanks

While there is some validity to the extra air tank or volume idea the
water tank idea is dangerous. I know of two deaths in our county alone
that stemmed from using water tanks for air pressure storage. A water
tank is designed for 60psi and is probably tested to 1.5 times that
(normal testing practice) which is 90psi. Most air compressors shut off
at 130psi so eventually you will have a problem depending on your luck.
Propane tanks are tested to 240psi which is OK but the perfume propane
odour is almost impossible to get rid of. A better idea is to buy an air
pig used for carrying air to flat tires etc and they are available
almost at any supply store. They can be plumbed into the line and are a
safe way to increase volume as well as an inexpensive one.
Horsepower ratings on the new compressors are often bogus. There are 750
watts in a horsepower (in round figures)so a 6hp motor would draw 4530
watts which is almost 40 amps. I say this because I just bought a Sears
5hp to replace my old Camp Haus 2hp but when I checked the specs they
are identical units both drawing 15 amps and producing approx 6 scfm at
90psi.
Don Dulmage