[FWDLK]

Hi, all...
Chris Whalen has just added my Driver's Report on the original Chrylser 300. Written in January, 1955, just 10 days or so after I joined Motor Life, it was the first report on the 300 to appear in a car magazine, as I recall.

It was a great car, especially for that time. I loved it, as you'll be able to tell from the article. You have to remember that this was an era when "boulevard ride" was the norm, particularly in high-priced models. Handling was awful when you pushed them: excessive body roll, a lot of oversteer, nosedive in fast stops, etc. Cadillacs were the worst.

The 300 was, bar none, the best factory-stock car for fast, over-the-road travel at the time. The 53-54 Mexican Road Race Lincolns were at least comparable, but only after Clay Smith (best crew chief/mechanic of his era, IMHO) passed his magic hand over them. Incidentally, those Mexican Race Lincolns used all stock parts, but Smith went through many bins of parts, using Prussian blue to find heads, manifolds etc. that best fitted individual blocks. And many "stock" suspension were produced in such limited quantities, especially for the race cars, that they were stock in name only. (I was at Ford's Research & Engineering Center from '52-'55 and kept tabs on that kind of stuff.) In effect, the Lincoln engines were balanced & blueprinted. Pistons were selected carefully to ensure they all weighed the same, etc.

You'll find the 300 article at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rapilje/

Click on Chrysler, then 1955.

Ken