Re: [FWDLK] The Duchess of Spring...

Dual Points
Dual points work better by improving the amount of time the points are
closed or the dwell as it is called technically. One set breaks the
connection to make the spark but the second set closes almost
immediately afterward to start the coil saturation process all over.
Typical values for dwell on a single point dist would be 27 to 32
degrees. With a dual point values of 37 to 42 are quite attainable so
the coil has more time to "reload" so to speak. This helps especially at
higher RPMs . Also, most, if not all, dual point distibutors are
intended for Hi-Performance use and have a much more agressive advance
curve which really wakes up a sleepy engine. That subject was covered in
Chrysler Power Magazine last year in an article called "Mission
Ignition." I think it was the July or Sept issue for those who have
access to it. This better advance curve is what probably picked up your
general performance as the extra dwell doesn't make much difference
until you reach higher RPMs (Above 4000 for example) which doesn't hurt
either.
DOn DulmaGE