Re: [FWDLK] Junk Yard Adventure.

Joe,

OK, so where is this place???????
Does he have any 56 Dodge parts?

This reminds me of a time a couple of years ago. I went through a yard I had
been to several times before and didn't find anything interesting on that
trip. Usually, when they have 12,000 cars, you find something that you
missed on the previous visits, or a fresh deposit. After I went into the
office to pay for a $1 part, I was ready to leave when I noticed a very good
condition 56 D500 flag emblem sitting on the counter. When asked where it
came from, the counter man said it had been under a pile of old papers under
the counter that they just cleaned out. The only D500 they had that I had
seen there since 1979 had been there since 1962, according to the plates on
the car, and it's flags were missing. It must have been buried under the
papers for 25 years. It cost me 5 whole bucks!

And then there was a little yard outside of Portland, Oregon, that I visited
while at the 1998 WPC Meet. They had a whole display cabinent of NOS Mopar
chrome parts and emblems. Mostly mid to late 50's stuff. I bought several
items for my Dodge and a NOS 58 D500 emblem ($35).

Dave
56 Dodge D500
At 01:30 PM 4/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I just went to local junk yard that is known for old cars.  The ol' guy
>there was amazing.  He has hundreds and hundreds of cars and he knows right
>where everything is, cars and parts.  He did not have a 55 Belvedere, just a
>Savoy.  He told me where to find it in the yard if I wanted to look it over.
>When he asked what I was looking for, I told him front turn signal lenses
>and a rear backup light cone.  He says, "hang on a second" and goes
>rummaging through some boxes and comes out with an old unopened MoPar box
>that he cuts open and there is a brand new, never seen daylight turn signal
>lens and housing.  Then he points me over to a counter and tells me to go
>around behind.  He has some 55 taillights over there.  I found 2 brand new
>looking housings with good taillights and mint reverse light cones.
>Unfortunately, he only had the whole units with housings (and wanted $75
>each for em) and I only need the plastic.  Mine are "ok" at that, just have
>all those hairline cracks.  Apparently a Chrysler dealer was going out of
>business back in the 60's and he bought their inventory.  Said he just
>recently unpacked everything!  I wandered through the yard looking at cars
>and found a huge section of old buses.  Each was packed to the gills with
>parts and boxes of stuff.  I would love to spend a week scrounging around
>that place!
>
>See ya,  Joe.
>http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5768
>99 GMC Sierra K1500 SLE Z71 4x4 Ext Cab Shortbed 5.3L Blue/Pewter.
>55 Plymouth Belvedere 2dr Club Coupe V8 Auto Red/Black Sport Tone.
>http://www.infopage.com/plymouth/

Dave