Re: [FWDLK] Brakes and engine overheating

Re: [FWDLK] Brakes and engine overheating

In a message dated 5/18/99, 1:03:40 PM, SperdutoN@xxxxxxx writes:
<<On another note, i will start working on my running warm at an idle problem
next week.
One person suggested first I check to see that the car is actually running
warm.
With the guage at 3/4 towards max, the collant temp (by sticking a
thermometer in the radiator" was 200 degrees. So I think it's safe to assume
that when the guage it at max, the car is overheating. The first thing I'm
going to do is attempt to remove the thermostat.

Thanks,
Nick>>

I am having an overheating problem, too.   Actually, my car can idle all day
long on a hot day and not go past the end of the "C" area.  When I drive
around town, the needle stays in the cool half of the "normal" area.  BUT,
when I get on the highway, the needle shoots straight up to the "H" area
within 15 minutes.  I have already taken out the thermostat.  And I know the
gauge is not lying because the water boils out once I get off the highway
(never in city traffic or idling, though.)
What could cause this?  I believe my vacuum advance isn't working, but if I
set the base timing to make up for it, it makes no difference.
I even checked to see if I had the fan on backwards!  (I don't)
I'm stumped.
Any ideas?
Tom