[FWDLK] Polishing Trim & Chrome

Someone sent me a tip on polishing the stainless steel trim with a buffer.
Now that I have started, I have several questions:

I have done a little experimenting by doing half by hand and the other half
with the buffer.  I can't seem to get it any better with the
buffer (almost looks cloudier in some cases).  I am not sure if I am doing
it right though.

Using the buffer; should I apply the white polish compound to the trim or on
the wheel?  If a 12" piece takes 10-15 mins (approx 1 minute per inch)
should I do one section for a full minute, or do a 5 inch section back and
forth for 5 minutes?  I have experimented with both a little and seem to get
the same results.  Doing it over one area very slowly gets it hot, is that
good or bad?

Also, I can't tell whether some of the pieces are chrome or stainless.  Is
there an easy way to tell?  Example, the outside mirror mount looks chrome,
but the dome part where the mirror attached does not.  Is it ok to use the
buffer on chrome using the same technique as stainless steel?

Thanks.

See ya,  Joe.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5768
99 GMC Sierra K1500 SLE Z71 4x4 Ext Cab Shortbed 5.3L Blue/Pewter.
55 Plymouth Belvedere 2dr Club Coupe V8 Auto Red/Black Sport Tone.
http://www.infopage.com/plymouth/