Re: [FWDLK] Starter motor for '57 DODGE UPDATE

Re: [FWDLK] Starter motor for '57 DODGE UPDATE

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the offers of help!
I found a place in town that had the gear in stock.  They put it on my
starter and I had the car running again the same day.
What I learned from the one person's post is that it is not the relay but a
vacuum operated switche that is supposed to disable the starter motor.  I
think the reason I had the problem was because I was accelerating 'throught
the gears' at the time when I accidently pushed neutral in stead of drive.  I
guess the vacuum was low enough that the switch couldn't protect me from my
own stupidity.
The lesson:  If your accelerating in one of the lower gears, MAKE SURE your
finger is on the 'D' button when you push, NOT nuetral!  But I guess most
other people wouldn't make that mistake, anyway!
Tom

PS My Chiltons manual is what stated that it was the starter relay that was
disabled when the generator was operating.  But it is the vacuum switch that
serves this function, as I was able to verify while tinkering under the hood.